August 21, 2012

An Historical Quilt - Texas Civil War Museum

On our recent vacation to Texas, we visited the Texas Civil War Museum. This great find, included many displays, divided by "north" and "south", and had everything from guns, clothing, uniforms, utinsels, musical instruments and more. But one item I thought my readers would enjoy was a quilt they had on display in their Texas Confederate Collection.
Click HERE to visit the Texas Civil War Museum


While a very simple pattern, I have to remind myself of the time it took to piece this quilt by hand, not to mention the time and ingenuity it took to find fabrics, and enough of them, to make this quilt.


Here are a few close up shots. In the event, I decide to replicate, I took these to have a reference for the fabric color and pattern (if any).



We are quite spoiled with our computerized sewing machines and other tools and notions that allow us to piece a quilt in record time. Look closely to the points in the piecing. Can you get that precision in your piecing? Not me. I have to use my seam ripper quite often. Enjoy this look at a time gone by.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Stephanie! I am with the Fat Quarter Shop and would like to speak with you about blog sponsorship. Please email me at chelsey[at]fatquartershop[dot]com!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete