August 19, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again

It has been quite some time since I've posted and even longer since I've done any sewing. But with a couple Block of the Month (BOM) kits, an upcoming Grandmother's Flower Garden class at a local quilt shop and a new sewing machine, I was ready to get back at it. I'm back in the saddle again.

STITCHING AGAIN

I signed up for the Love Letters BOM at this time last year. I faithfully picked up my kit each month, picked up the finishing kit and had yet to start a single block. What better way to get back to stitching again. Fabric chosen for me, complete instructions and no daunting piles of fabric, I could just deal with one block at a time.
It feels good to be piecing again. But I find myself being the perfectionist. I use the frog stitch (rippit rippit rippit) quite often. As the day went on, I found I wasn't a picky. I'll have to use my quilting to cover the piecing issues. But if that's all I have to worry about, life ain't so bad. And even better, this one is for me. Most quilt projects are for a gift or sewn for others. But not this time - I'm keeping this one for myself.

A NEW SEWING MACHINE

After working my way through several machines that just did not live up to that perfect stitch on my first Bernina, I decided to buy myself a machine that I could take to class and use as my main machine at home. I put the Viking 835 and the Bernina 185QEE up for sale on ebay and hit our local quilt shop, Heirloom Creations. After identifying the key items I wanted in a machine, including needle up/down, portablity, a solid straight stitch, a good light and basic quilting stitches, I landed on the Bernina 3 Series, the Bernina 350 PE. This is not a full size machine, and many would wonder why I chose what would be considered a beginner machine. Well, it fit the bill. It has 150 stitches, including a blanket stitch It has an automatic buttonholer. And to tell you the truth, I don't miss mind the smaller machine. Simply, it's just plain cute. Stay tuned for updates and a full review of the Bernina 350 PE.

No comments:

Post a Comment