February 15, 2013

My Viking Huskylock S25 Has Arrived

I have been wanting to have a coverstitch machine for many years now. And after completing a custom sewing project (a girl's applique tshirt and ruffle skirt) I decided it was time to start hunting. I however determined I did not have room for a 4th machine. So looked for a serger/coverstich combo. I took fabric with me to test drive - including the heavy #12 duck fabric I use to make Cornhole/Bean Bags. I wanted to ensure that I would not be giving up a sure thing by adding some bells and whistles.

I landed on the Viking Huskylock S25. I traded in my Viking Huskylock 910 and brought home the S25 a few days ago. In addition to the coverstich capability, I liked how smooth and quiet it stitched, the extra space in the throat area and the bright/updated lighting. I hesitated as I wondered whether having no free-arm would be an issue. But in thinking about the how I've used my serger in the past, it really is not a must for me. Even with a free-arm on the 910 (to slip a sleeve over and stitch), I didn't use it. The S25 has a bigger footprint than my 910, but still works with the Horn cabinet I have. And as a bonus, the S25 comes with the sew steady clear acrylic table. Love that!

While I have yet to stitch on it at home, I have a few projects in mind to test it out. In the works are:

* shortening a couple of t-shirts (for coverstitch)
* a couple Cuddle Scarves
* a Serge and Merge Quilt


Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment